Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Homemade Nutella)
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- Prep: 5-7 minutes
- 2cups raw, unsalted hazelnuts
- 1cup almond milk
- 1/3cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3tablespoons pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 2teaspoons ground vanilla beans
- Remove the hazelnut skins or leave them on; the recipe can be prepared either ways. If you decide to remove the skins, you’ll need to roast the nuts first. After roasting, wait until the hazelnuts are completely cooled before attempting to remove the skins; otherwise you’ll burn your hands. It should take about 5 minutes for the hazelnuts to cool down enough to handle. Once cooled, rub them between your palms to remove the skins.
- Grind the hazelnuts in a blender until they have a coarse consistency (about 1 minute). Use a high-powered blender to get a smoother texture. You can use a food processor, but you might need to grind the nuts for about 2 minutes longer, and a slight graininess may remain.
- Add the almond milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla. Blend until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Because this recipe contains almond milk, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator. It should last 7 to 10 days.
Recipe from DIY Nut Milks, Nut Butters & More by Melissa King (The Experiment, 2014)