Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Yield: 10 servings
"My daughter came across this recipe for chocolate bread pudding during the holidays several years ago and made it to take to a potluck party. It was such a success that it has since graced our holiday tables."—Sara J. Jones, Sault Sainte Marie, Mich.
- 2cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 eggs
- 3/4cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8teaspoon nutmeg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4ounces Kahlua or brandy
- 2cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 4cups cubed stale French bread
- Cream or milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch (5-cup) loaf pan.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, melted chocolate and Kahlua in a large bowl. When very smooth, stir in milk and mix well. Add bread and let stand for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure bread is evenly soaked.
- Ladle half the bread mixture into loaf pan. Spread remaining 1 cup chocolate chips on top. Ladle remaining bread mixture over chocolate chips. Bake about 55 minutes, until center is set. Serve warm with cream or milk, if desired.