Chinese Five-Spice Melon Soup
- Yield: servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 2 hours
- 2medium cantaloupes, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 3tablespoons heavy cream
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 2teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1tablespoon sliced fresh Thai basil
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cantaloupe with the cream, sugar, lemon juice, and Chinese five-spice powder. Transfer the puree to a pitcher.
- Place the grated ginger in a piece of cheesecloth. Squeeze the ginger of its juice and add the juice to the cantaloupe mixture. Discard the ginger solids.
- Cover and refrigerate the cantaloupe soup for 1 to 2 hours.
- Pour the soup into individual bowls and garnish with the Thai basil.
From the book You Won’t Believe It’s Salt-Free!, by Robyn Webb. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2012.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 80 cal
- Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 10 mg
- Sodium 25 mg
- Carbohydrate 15 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Sugars 14 g
- Protein 1 g