Chicken Salad with Haloumi and Olives (Saganaki Salad)
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 1/2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2teaspoons honey
- 3cups arugula leaves
- 2ounces radicchio leaves, torn
- 3/4cup California Black Ripe Olives, whole, pitted
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4ounces Haloumi cheese, diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and honey. Mix in arugula, radicchio and olives and toss until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Mix flour and pepper in a small bowl. Dredge cheese pieces in flour. Place in a wire mesh strainer and shake to remove excess flour.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat. Place cheese in pan and brown for about 1 to 2 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from pan with a slotted spatula and toss with salad mixture. Top with toasted walnuts and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of California Olive Committee