Chicken Mole Nachos
- Yield: servings
- Chicken Mole:
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- Vegetable oil as needed for frying the chicken pieces
- 1cup flour
- 2teaspoons each salt and pepper
- 2cups hot water or chicken broth
- 1/4cup mole sauce Dona Maria brand like this one the best
- Salsa Relish:
- 1pint grape tomatoes quartered
- 4 yellow chile peppers seeded diced
- 2 serrano chile peppers seeded diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded diced
- 1 celery rib diced
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 green bell pepper seeded diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded diced
- Other ingredients
- 4cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1to 1 1/2 cups refried beans 2 ripe avocados diced cover well and set aside
- 1/2cup olives quartered cover and set aside if you like olives you can use a full 14 ounce can
- Crema Mexicana (sour cream) I use Cacique brand, though I have never tried other brands of mexician sour cream
- Lime flavored tortilla chips large bag (Tostitos is what I used)
- 1 lime cut into 8 wedges
Prepare Salsa Relish by mixing all ingredients together, set aside. Can be made up to two hours ahead, do not refrigerate. Makes about 2 cups
Mix flour with salt and pepper, dredge chicken pieces in flour, shake off excess and fry until golden brown and meat is cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
Meanwhile mix water or chicken broth with mole sauce in large skillet and heat, stirring to dissolve mole. When mixture comes to a soft boil add the chicken and simmer. Adjust seasoning as needed with additional salt.
Heat Beans thoroughly, add a little chicken broth or water to allow for a smooth spreadable consistency.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees:
On a large heat proof platter, spread 1/2 the bag of tortilla chips then layer with 1 to 1-1/2 cups of the shredded pepper jack cheese covering all chips.
Spread refried beans on top of cheese.
Spoon about 3/4 cup Salsa Relish over Cheese, (or as much as you like, but don’t use all of it, save some for serving on the side).
layer with remaining chips.
Sprinkle 1 to 1-1/2 cups of shredded pepper jack cheese on top of chips.
Spoon Chicken Mole on top of cheese.
Heat in oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes
Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese, quartered olives and diced avocado. Dollop Crema Mexicana on top of this, as much as you like.
Garnish platter with lime wedges and serve with remaining salsa relish on the side
Though this recipe looks complicated it is not; I prepare the salsa relish, quartered olives and avocado ahead of time. The refried beans though I make my own, canned work fine.
It’s really worth the effort.