- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
"My godmother gave me this recipe when I got married 24 years ago. I've been using it ever since. I make the dish the night before, and my family just loves it. Leftovers may be frozen."
- 1/2cup olive or cooking oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 1large red or Vidalia onion, sliced
- 2large red peppers, sliced into
- 2large celery stalks, sliced into
- 1/2pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1cup white vinegar
- In a large Dutch oven, warm oil on low/medium heat. Add chicken pieces, cooking 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except vinegar. Cook on low/medium heat, covered, stirring every 30 minutes, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- In last 30 minutes, add vinegar. Serve over white rice, or linguine pasta.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This dish is hearty, satisfying, and healthful-containing no salt. It’s also good as a chunky soup served with garlic bread.
—Janet Terchila, Rio Rancho, N.M.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 420
- Fat 21g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 50mg
- Sodium 720mg
- Potassium 1250mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 25g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 90%
- Vitamin C 200%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 30%