- Yield: 2 cups
- 3 lemons
- 3 oranges
- 3 limes
- Coarse or granulated sugar, for dusting
- Simple Syrup
- 3/4cup sugar
- 3/4cup water
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Line a baking sheet or 8-in cake pan with parchment paper.
- Bring two medium saucepans of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Zest 2 lemons, 2 oranges, and 2 limes with a zester or small paring knife, separating the colored skin from the white pith. Cut each piece of zest into thin strips and transfer to a medium strainer or small colander. Dip the strips into the first pan of boiling water for about 20 seconds, then the second pan of boiling water for about 20 seconds, and transfer them to the pan of simple syrup.
- Cut the remaining lemon, orange, and lime into thin slices. Dip them into the first pan of boiling water for about 20 seconds, then the second pan for 20 seconds, then put them in the pan of simple syrup.
For the Simple Syrup
- Place sugar, water, vanilla, and salt in a medium saucepan and boil over medium heat. Once the syrup has boiled, turn off the heat and cool for about 20 minutes.