California Pepper Jack and Beef Quesadilla
- Yield: servings
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 4cups (about 16 ounces) coarsely grated Real California Pepper Jack
- 2 (3-ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8ounces thick-sliced roast beef, cut into thin strips
- 1medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup Real California Cream Cheese, softened
- 2tablespoons Real California butter or vegetable oil
- Arrange 4 tortillas on a flat work surface. Evenly divide the Pepper Jack, mushrooms, beef, and peppers on each tortilla taking care to leave a 1-inch border around the edge. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using a spatula, spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese on each of the 4 remaining tortillas and set, cream cheese side down, on top, pressing gently to secure.
- In a 9-inch skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the butter or oil over medium heat. Place one quesadilla in the pan, and cook until cheese begins to melt and tortilla crisps to a golden brown, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the quesadilla and repeat on the other side. Transfer the hot quesadilla from the pan to a cutting board and cover with foil. Let rest for 2 minutes before cutting into wedges. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board