Cabbage and Corned Beef with Sweet Tangy Glaze
- Yield: 8 servings
"My family loves this recipe anytime, but it's a requirement for St. Patrick's Day."
- 1 (4-pound) corned beef brisket
- 2/3cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2tablespoons ketchup
- 2 heads green cabbage (about 3 pounds), cored and coarsely sliced
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 3/4teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- Bring 12 cups water to a boil in an 8-quart stockpot. Add the corned beef, return to a boil, and cook according to package directions.
- Remove the corned beef to a cutting board and cool for about 10 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and arrange on an open roasting pan or broiler pan, overlapping slices slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the brown sugar, mustard, and ketchup in a small bowl; mix well. Spread evenly on top and between the corned beef slices. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes or until the glaze is browned.
- Heat the oil in the stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, sugar, and salt. Cook until tender-crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently with a long-handled spoon. Arrange the cabbage on a serving platter. Top with the corned beef.
Recipe by Barbara Coffelt, Estill Springs, Tenn.