- Yield: 4 servings
For a more mellow taste, add 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese to the mixture, along with the green onions.
- 1 1/2cups buttermilk
- 1/2cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 2tablespoons butter
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 4-cup soufflé or casserole dish.
- Warm buttermilk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cornmeal. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in butter and salt and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Whisk egg yolks into cornmeal mixture. Add green onions; stir well.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to cornmeal mixture, a little at a time, folding gently to avoid deflating.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until puffed, golden brown and set. Serve immediately by spooning portions onto individual plates.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 210
- Fat 12g
- Sodium 640mg
- Carbohydrate 17g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 10g