- 4pounds boneless pork shoulder (Aria uses Niman Ranch Boneless Berkshire Pork Shoulder)
- 3tablespoons coarse salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4-- Vidalia onions, cut into halves (leaving 2 to 3 inches of stem)
- 1/4cup thinly sliced fresh garlic
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 1tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2cups chicken stock
Trim pork of excess fat and cut into large 7- to 8-ounce portions. Season pork with salt and pepper. Dredge pork in flour; shake off excess.
Preheat oven to 300F.
Heat a heavy-bottom Dutch oven. Add vegetable oil. Carefully place pork in pan. Do not crowd pan and do not move pork unnecessarily. Brown pork on all sides. Remove pork from pan.
Return Dutch oven to burner, add Vidalia Onions and cook over a high heat stirring occasionally until onions begin to caramelize. Add garlic and thyme and continue to cook for another minute. Return pork to pan, add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in oven for 2 1/2 hours.
Remove pan from oven, do not open lid or peek. Allow to rest 1 hour before serving.
When ready to serve, remove pork with a slotted spoon to a platter, cover and keep warm.
Skim excess fat from sauce, and cook sauce over medium high heat until reduced to desired consistency. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over pork and serve.
Recipe by Chef Gerry Klaskala , Aria, Atlanta, Ga.