- Yield: 8
Chef Mortenson uses four kinds of chile pepper in this recipe: 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon chile de arbol, 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle and 1/4 teaspoon ground pasilla. We found that it works find with just cayenne. Adjust the amount according to your taste.
- 9 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 7 1/2tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2cups water
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2cups butter
- 18ounces valrhona chocolate (61%), chopped
- 9 1/2ounces Ibarra chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2teaspoons cayenne
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter 8 (8-ounce) ramekins.
- Beat eggs, yolks and 7 1/2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until tripled in volume.
- Combine water, 1 1/2 cups sugar, vanilla bean seeds and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add butter. Whisk until butter is melted. Add chopped chocolate; whisking until melted. Remove from heat and stir in spices. Let cool slightly.
- Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg foam, taking care not to deflate eggs.
- Spoon batter into ramkins. Place ramekins in a large baking dish. Place dish on oven rack. Fill dish with hot water, to 1-inch below tops of ramekins. Bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven and water bath and let cool slightly. Serve warm.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 1165
- Fat 83g
- Cholesterol 440mg
- Carbohydrate 111g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 13g