Blackened Flank Steak
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon garlic powder
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 2teaspoons hot paprika
- 2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2pounds flank steak, trimmed
- Mix the garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, kosher salt, black pepper and red pepper in a bowl. Rub over both sides of the steak and place in a container. Chill, covered, for 3 hours or longer.
- Preheat the grill. Place the steak on a grill rack sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Grill for 5 minutes on each side or to the desired degree of doneness.
- Remove from the grill rack and let stand for 10 minutes. Cut the steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., Cooking in High Cotton, the Cotton Country Collection (the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., 2008)
For more information on why meat needs to rest after cooking, watch this video for tips from the “Butcher Boys” of Porter Road Butcher in Nashville, TN