Black Olive Risotto Balls
- Yield: servings
- 2tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2medium shallots, chopped
- 1cup Arborio or short grain rice
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken stock, warmed
- 1/2cup sauvignon blanc
- 2/3cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/3cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- 1/4cup minced sun-dried tomatoes (preferably smoked)
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 (2.2-ounce) can sliced California Ripe Olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add garlic and shallots; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cook for 2 minutes more. Add chicken stock, 1/2 cup at a time, adding more when broth has been absorbed, stirring frequently. When all broth has been used, stir in mozzarella, 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, olives and pepper. Let cool, then cover and chill for at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Roll mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. Stir together breadcrumbs and remaining Parmigiano Reggiano. Roll each ball in flour, then in beaten egg, then in breadcrumb mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place risotto balls on a baking sheet and spray liberally on all sides with olive oil cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, coating with olive oil spray every 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of California Olive Committee