Black Olive & Broccoli sauce with penne pasta
- Yield: serves 6 to 8 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- olive oil
- whole tomatoes
- capers w/ some juice
- large sliced black olives
- sliced mushrooms
- basil, salt pepper to taste
- penne pasta
IN LARGE SAUCEPAN:
1. Put in olive oil
2. Add sliced garlic & slowly brown
3. Add onion
4. Hand squeeze tomatoes into the pan use juice also
5.Add only broccoli stalks (medallions)
6. Add basil, capers, caper juice, salt, pepper, olives and olive juice
7. Bring to boil and cover pan and simmer for apprximately 45 minutes. Do not add broccoli and mushrooms until sauce has simmered for the full 45 minutes
8. Stir frequently
When you boil the pasta separately, it's time to add the broccoli florets and mushrooms to the tomatoe sauce (keep saucepan covered).
When pasta is done pour sauce over and serve.
Optional hint: We have also added fresh green beans and shrimp to this recipe.