Beef Ropa Vieja
- Yield: 4 servings
- Cook: 35 minutes
- 1tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2pounds beef flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1small red onion, sliced
- 1medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2cloves garlic, chopped
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6ounces mixed lettuce leaves
- Heat the grape seed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear the steak (about 4 minutes per side).
- Transfer the beef and juices to a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed pot. Cover with the beef broth and stir in the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and garlic with the cumin, salt, cilantro, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for 45 to 60 minutes, until the meat is tender. When ready to serve, shred the meat with forks and place atop mixed lettuce leaves.
Recipe from Healthy Latin Eating by Angelo Sosa & Angie Martinez (Kyle Books, 2015)