Basil Tomato Tart
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1-- baked (9-inch) pie shell
- 1 1/2cups (6-ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2cup (2-ounces) grated asiago cheese
- 4-- tomatoes
- 1cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 4-- garlic cloves
- 1/2cup mayonnaise
- 1/4cup (1-ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8teaspoon white pepper
- Sprinkle the warm pie shell with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of the asiago cheese. Cut the tomatoes into thin slices and drain on paper towels. Arrange over the melted cheese. Process the basil and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Sprinkle over the tomatoes. Combine the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup asiago cheese, the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and white pepper in a bowl and mix well. Spread evenly over the basil and tomatoes. Bake at 350F for 25 mintues or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious Favorites(Scrumptious Inc., Decatur, Alabama, 2011).