Basil and Tomato Drop Biscuits
- Yield: 2
- 1/2cup finely chopped onion
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 2cups flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1/3cup shortening
- 2/3cup milk
- Saute the onion in the olive oil in a skillet until tender. Add the tomato and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the basil and oregano and remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk and the tomato mixture and mix just until moistened; the dough will be sticky.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Plano, Lone Star to Five Star, Culinary Creations for Every Occasion (The Junior League of Plano, 2004)