Baked Acorn Squash with Cranberry-Orange Compote
- Yield: 12 servings
- 3small acorn squash
- 6ounces butter, melted
- 4ounces brown sugar (or honey or maple syrup)
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1pound cranberries
- 6ounces orange juice
- 2ounces orange zest, blanched
- -- Water and sugar as needed
- Cut squash into quarters and remove seeds.
- Combine butter and brown sugar. Brush the glaze on the squash. Season squash with salt and pepper. Reserve any excess butter and sugar.
- Bake the squash quarters at 300F in oven until they are tender. Baste them periodically with the reserved butter and sugar mixture.
- To prepare the compote: Combine the cranberries, orange juice and water as needed to barely cover the berries. Add sugar to taste. Simmer the berries over medium heat until they soften and thicken. Add the orange zest.
- To serve, spoon hot cranberry mixture over the squash.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Service League’s West of the Rockies (Grand Junction, Colorado, 1994).