Avocado and Potato Salad with Horseradish
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- 2pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1 1/2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1/2cup plain yogurt
- 2tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4cup fresh dill leaves (with thick stems removed)
- 3 celery ribs (strings removed and cut into 1/4" crescents)
- 2medium avocados
- 1tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Bring water to a boil in the bottom of a vegetable steamer. Cut potatoes in half and place them in the steamer basket. Cover and steam until they are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, whisk oil and vinegar together in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt; set aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle without burning your fingers, cut them in 1″ cubes. Toss them in the oil and vinegar so they are coated well, and set them aside to cool to room temperature, tossing occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt and horseradish. Mince the dill and add it to the sour cream mixture, stirring well.
- When potatoes have cooled to room temperature, add celery and toss to combine. Then add the sour cream mixture; toss again.
- Halve, pit and peel the avocados. Cut them into 1″ cubes; place in a small bowl with the lime juice. Toss so the cubes are moistened with the juice.
- Add the avocados (with all of the lime juice, to the potatoes); toss gently until they are well distributed and coated with the dressing.
- Add pepper and additional salt to taste, and either serve immediately or chill for 30 minutes and then serve.