Asian Rice Salad
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Prep: 1 hour
- 2teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2cups brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/4cups water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup frozen shelled edamame
- Vegetables and Tofu
- 1cup grated carrots
- 1cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2cup sliced green onion
- 8ounces Asian Baked Tofu
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1teaspoon wasabi powder, dissolved in an equal amount of water
- 1tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or cubed
- Salad greens
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add rice and saute 1 minute, stirring to coat rice with oil. Add water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 30 minutes. Add frozen edamame. Cover and continue cooking until rice is done, about 15 minutes.
- Place carrots, bell peppers and green onions in a large bowl. Whisk together all dressing ingredients and pour over vegetables. Add 8 ounces of Thai Baked Tofu (half the recipe) to vegetables. Add rice and edamame. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss. Serve room temperature or chilled on a bed of greens and topped with avocado. Makes about 7 cups.
Reprinted with permission from the Moosewood Collective’s Moosewood Restaurant Favorites (St. Martin’s Press, 2013).