- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/3cups dry unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3cup sugar
- 6tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- -- Sweet sherry
- 1-- (24-ounce) jar home-style chunky applesauce
- -- Whipped cream
- -- Raspberry Jam*, cherries and/or shredded chocolate
- Mix the bread crumbs with the sugar in a medium bowl. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat; do not brown. Add the bread crumbs and saute until golden brown. Spoon into the bowl and cool.
- Divided one-third of the bread crumbs evenly between four dessert dishes and sprinkle lightly with sherry. Layer the applesauce and remaining bread crumbs one-half at a time in the prepared dessert dishes, sprinkling each bread crumb layer with sherry.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or longer before serving. Top with whipped cream and decorate as desired with Rapberry Jam, cherries, shredded chocolate and/or a Danish flag.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Stig Hansen’s Cooking Danish, A Taste of Denmark (Eden, Utah, 2007).