Icelandic Almond Tarts
These sweet Icelandic almond tarts are perfect for a tea party or springtime celebration.
These tarts are formed in small tart tins available at most kitchen shops. If you don’t have any, a mini muffin tin works nicely.
- 1¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Confectioners' Sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 tsp Fresh Orange Juice
- or 1 tsp Orange Juice, Bottled
- ½ cup Almond Flour
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ tsp Almond Extract
- 18 Fresh Raspberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. In the bowl of a food processor combine the flour and the confectioners sugar. Add the butter and pulse until the flour is pea sized and the mixture looks crumbly. In a separate, smaller bowl whisk the egg yolk, orange juice and water together. Add to the work bowl and process until a soft dough forms.
- Pinch off a small amount of dough, roughly 2 tablespoons worth and press with your thumbs into individualÂ tart molds. Be sure to make the dough slightly thicker along the edges. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In medium sized bowl, cream the butter with the almond flour and the sugar. Add the eggs and salt and whisk until smooth. Spoon the mixture into each mold, Â¾ of the way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tarts are golden. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing in a small bowl and mix until completely smooth. Lightly ice each tart and garnish with berries if desired.