Flourless Chocolate Beet Cakes
This fudgy, dense, and gluten-free dessert is a cross between a soufflé and a cake.
You can make this dessert in a 9-inch springform pan or individual cups of most any size. For a 9-inch cake, bake about 40 minutes. The center should be “jiggly” when done, as the cake or cakelets will set as they cool.
- 9 oz Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- or 9 oz Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1½ Butter Sticks
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 6 Eggs
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Pureed Cooked Beets
- or 15 oz Canned Beets
- ¾ cup Almond Meal
- or ¾ cup Almond Flour
- 2 T Powdered Sugar (optional)
- 4 oz Semisweet Chocolate
- or 4 oz Bittersweet Chocolate
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- 2 T Butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare cake, combine chocolate, butter and olive oil in a bowl set over simmering water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together egg yolks and granulated sugar until light and well-blended. Add cooled chocolate to egg mixture, whisking well. Stir in the pureed beets and almond meal.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture just until combined.
- Pour mixture into 6 greased cups. Bake about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Centers will be very jiggly. Let cool on a wire rack. Chill.
- To prepare glaze, combine chocolate, cream and butter and microwave on low for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave another 30 seconds or until chocolate is melted. Pour or spoon over tops of cakes. Chill until ready to serve. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to garnish, if using.