Coffee Pound Cake with Cardamom
A mild coffee flavor and hint of cardamon spice make this cake one for the recipe box.
This cake has a very mild coffee flavor. Leave the coffee extract out of the batter for a vanilla cake.
- 1½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1¼ tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt, Low Fat
- or 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt, Low Fat
- 1¼ cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Coffee Extract
- or 1 tsp Espresso Powder
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- or ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 6 T Coffee, Brewed
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon cardamom.
- Combine yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, coffee extract and oil; whisk well. Slowly stir inÂ flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, until a cake tester placed in the center of loaf comes out clean.
- Place 1/4 cup brewed coffee in a saucepan. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Heat until sugar dissolves. When cake is done, let cool in pan 10 minutes. Place cake on a wire rack over a sheet pan. While cake is warm, poke holes in top of cake, pour coffee mixture over top and allow it to soak in. Let cool.
- To prepare icing, combine powdered sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons of brewed coffee and a pinch of cardamom, stirring until smooth. Add more sugar if necessary to reach spreading consistency. When cake is cool, drizzle glaze over cake.