Make meal planning easy! Discover recipes, create meal plans, shopping lists and more.
Hutspot (Dutch Carrots, Potatoes and Onions)
This combination of mashed vegetables is traditionally served with braised beef.
2 lb Carrots
2 lb Yellow Onion
2 lb Yukon Gold Potato
½ lb Smoked Bacon
2 T Butter
½ tsp Salt
- Place carrots and onions into a large pot. Cover with 2 cups water.
- Place chunk of bacon on top. Cover and cook 35 to 40 minutes, until onions and carrots are soft.
- Remove bacon. Drain and reserve cooking liquid. Set cooked carrots and onions aside.
- Boil potatoes in the same cooking liquid, cooking them until they fall apart.
- Mash potatoes with carrots and onions. Stir in butter and salt.
- Slice bacon into thin pieces, and serve alongside or on top of the hutspot.