Asian Roast Turkey with Sticky Rice Stuffing
The soy marinade makes for delicious pan drippings that are whisked into an orange juice-based sauce for the Asian Roast Turkey.
- 4 cup Sushi Rice
- 1 T Vegetable Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 oz Fresh Ginger Root
- 10 Shiitake Mushroom
- 1 Cilantro Bunch
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 2 Green Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 oz Fresh Ginger Root
- 1 T Sriracha
- 12 lb Turkey, Whole
- 1 T All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Fresh Orange Juice
- ½ cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- To prepare stuffing, cook rice in water according to package directions. When done, remove from pan and spread into a thin layer on a large baking sheet to cool.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and mix with rice, mushrooms, cilantro and salt. Use as turkey stuffing. Makes about 8 cups.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- To prepare turkey, combine soy sauce and sugar in a bowl and whisk until sugar is completely dissolved. Add green onions, garlic, ginger and Sriracha sauce; stir well.
- Carefully loosen the skin of turkey. Rub about 1/3 cup of the soy sauce marinade directly over the white and dark meat under the skin. Rub another 1/3 cup over the skin. Fill the bird with the stuffing, and close the opening by overlapping the skin and securing with a toothpick.
- Place turkey breast-side-down in a large roasting pan. Add 1 cup of water to the pan. Roast turkey about 1 1/2 hours (15 to 20 minutes per pound), basting every 20 minutes with remaining marinade. Turn turkey over and roast breast-side-up until temperature of the thigh reaches 170F. Stuffing should reach 165F. If the turkey is getting too brown, place a tent of foil over the breast and top of drumsticks during the last hour of cooking.
- Remove turkey from pan and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
To prepare gravy, sprinkle flour over pan drippings. Cook, stirring, over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in orange juice and chicken broth. Cook until thick. Serve with turkey.