Citrus-Marinated Roasted Turkey
This turkey is steeped in a marinade of fresh orange juice, garlic and rosemary, which is then used to baste the turkey.
The marinade drips down into the juices, making tasty drippings for the gravy. Serve with Citrus Gravy.
- ½ cup Freshly Grated Orange Zest
- 8 Tangerines
- or 8 Clementines
- or 8 Oranges
- 16 Garlic Cloves
- 1 T Red Pepper Flakes
- 8 Rosemary Sprigs
- 8 Thyme Sprigs
- 2 T Black Peppercorns
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 10 lb Turkey, Whole
- 1½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in disposable aluminum roasting pan large enough to hold the turkey and deep enough to allow the marinade to rise high enough to coat about half the turkey. Rinse turkey well and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight, turning turkey several times to evenly marinate.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Remove turkey from marinade and place in a roasting pan. Strain marinade, reserving solids and liquid. Stuff solids into the cavity of turkey. Pour liquid around turkey in pan. Roast 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and continue roasting, basting turkey every 30 minutes with pan juices, until internal temperature reaches 180F on a meat thermometer, about 15 to 20 minutes per pound. Let turkey stand 10 minutes before carving.