Keshi Yena (Chicken Stuffed Cheese)
An unusual and delicious way to use leftover roast chicken.
This recipe is from the Avila Hotel, a lovely beach resort that was once the original governor's mansion.
- 3 T Vegetable Oil
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 2 T Raisins
- 2 T Diced, Pimento Stuffed Green Olives
- 3 cup Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 3 T Chopped Dill Pickles
- 2 T Tomato Paste
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 10 oz Gouda Cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add peppers and onions; saute 5 minutes. Add raisins, olives, chicken, pickles, tomato paste and salt. Cook 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Grease 4 (8-ounce) ramekins. Line ramekins with 12 slices of cheese. Fill with chicken mixture. Top with remaining slices of cheese. Tuck in any cheese that hangs over the edge.
- Place ramekins in a large pan. Add hot water halfway up the sides of ramekins; cover pan tightly with foil or a lid and place over medium-high heat. Cook 15 minutes. Serve immediately.