Braised Chicken Thighs with Tomatoes and Smoked Paprika
Meltingly tender chicken in a rich sauce of sherry, paprika and ancho chili.
Cooking the thighs slowly produces fall-off-the-bone chicken. Serve with white rice or corn tortillas.
- 8 Skinless Chicken Thighs, Bone In
- 1½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 2 Sweet Onions
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves
- or 2 Fresh Bay Leaves
- ¼ cup Sherry, Dry
- 1 T Spanish Smoked Paprika
- or 1 T Pimentón de la Vera (Spanish Paprika)
- 1½ tsp Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Mexican Oregano
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 28 oz Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- Trim excess fat from chicken thighs and season with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate. Cook remaining chicken and transfer to plate. Combine onions and carrots in pan. Add remaining salt and sautÃ© about 6 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaves and sherry; cook 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add paprika, chili powder, oregano and cayenne and stir until vegetables are coated with spices.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add tomatoes (using your fingers to break them up) and their juice and cook 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; cover and bake 2 1/2Â hours.