Make-Ahead Bacon and Kale Strata
An easy, hearty overnight casserole perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dinner.
Assemble the strata the night before and pop in the oven in the morning. The Schaffers like to use a rich egg bread like challah or brioche, but any artisan white bread will work, such as French or ciabatta.
- 8 Smoked Bacon Slices
- 2 Leeks
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 lb Kale
- or 1 lb Fresh Chard
- or 1 lb Spinach
- 1 cup Dates, Chopped
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 3 cup Half and Half
- 12 Large Eggs
- 8 cup Challah Bread, Cubed
- or 8 cup Brioche Bread Cubed
- ½ cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tsp Chopped Rosemary
- 6 oz Gruyere Cheese
- or 6 oz Swiss Cheese
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, sautÃ© bacon and leeks until bacon is crisp and leeks are tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, kale, dates, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until kale is wilted. (You may need to add the kale in batches.)
- Combine half-and-half and eggs in a large bowl. Beat until blended. Stir in bread cubes, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, rosemary and 1 cup GruyÃ¨re. Add vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove strata from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Top with remaining Â½ cup GruyÃ¨re.
- Bake 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle of the strata comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.