Citrus Golden Ring Cake
This rich, lemony cake is dense and moist.
Like the circular wedding ring, a circle speaks of eternity, the circle of life and the notion that what goes around comes around.
- ¼ oz Cooking Spray
- 29 T Sugar
- 49 T All Purpose Flour
- 2 Butter Sticks
- 3 Eggs
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Fresh Orange Juice
- 2 T Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 T Freshly Grated Orange Zest
- 2 T Lemon Zest
Buttery Citrus Icing
- ½ Butter Stick
- 2½ tsp Freshly Grated Orange Zest
- 4 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 T Fresh Orange Juice
- 3 T Fresh Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Coat a 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray. Combine 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Sprinkle over oiled pan, tapping out excess.
- Beat butter with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar. Continue beating until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift 3 cups flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, orange juice and lemon juice. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat at low speed. Stir in the first amounts orange and lemon rinds. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes, until top is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To prepare icing, combine butter and powdered sugar using a mixer at medium speed. Add second amounts of orange and lemon rinds, and juices, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate. Pour one-third of icing over cake while still warm. Cool completely and spread with remaining icing. Garnish with orange zest, if desired.