Layers of tomatoes, spinach, cheese and pasta form a rich lasagna.
Prepare the lasagna a day ahead and bake just before serving.
- 3 T Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 28 oz Diced Tomatoes, Canned
- 28 oz Crushed Plum Tomatoes, Canned
- 1 T Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 T Dried Oregano
- 1 T Dried Basil
- ½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, Freshly Ground
- 2½ cup Ricotta Cheese, Whole Milk
- 20 oz Spinach, Frozen
- 1 Egg
- 9 No Boil Lasagna Noodles
- 1 lb Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- ⅔ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, Grated
- To prepare sauce, heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft and translucent, but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper and black pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare lasagna, combine ricotta cheese, spinach and egg in a large bowl; mix well.
- Coat the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with a third of the tomato sauce. Cover sauce with 3 noodles without overlapping (break noodles to fit), half the ricotta mixture and half the mozzarella slices. Add half the remaining sauce, 3 noodles, remaining ricotta mixture and remaining mozzarella. Top with remaining 3 noodles, remaining sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. To make ahead of time, cover with foil and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Place pan on baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes, or until bubbly. Let stand about 15 minutes before cutting into squares.