Soutsoukakia (Greek Meatballs)
Imagine a delicious meatloaf formed into two-bite meatballs and slowly simmered in Greek seasonings.
(Meatballs with Roasted Garlic, Olives and Tomato) Serve these meatballs with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
- ½ lb Ground Pork
- ½ lb Lamb, Ground
- ¼ lb Ground Beef
- 1 Onion
- 10 Garlic Cloves
- 2 T Chopped Dill
- 2 T Chopped Parsley
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 T Dijon Mustard
- 8 White Bread Slices
- ½ cup 2% Milk
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 T Olive Oil
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Onion
- ½ cup Red Wine
- 2 cup Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 28 oz Canned Plum Tomatoes
- 4 Dried Bay Leaves
- or 4 Fresh Bay Leaves
- ½ cup Tsakistes Green Olives, Brined
- or ½ cup Green Olives, Pitted
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives, Pitted
- 1 tsp Chopped Parsley (optional)
- 1 tsp Chopped Dill (optional)
- 1 tsp Chopped Mint (optional)
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- To prepare meatballs, combine pork and next 10 ingredients (pork though mustard) in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, soak bread in milk until saturated. Remove bread from milk, squeezing to drain off extra milk. Add bread and excess milk to meat mixture; mix well. Shape mixture into 24 (golf ball size) meatballs. Dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add meatballs; cook until brown on all sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add oil, sliced garlic and onions to pan; sautÃ© until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add wine; stir to loosen brown bits. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Add broths and tomatoes. Stir, breaking up tomatoes a bit. Add bay leaf. Simmer 30 minutes. Add meatballs to sauce. Cook 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add olives, fresh herbs, if desired, and oregano. Stir to combine.