Enlightened Fried Rice
Leftover brown basmati rice makes this Chinese dish a snap.
Think healthy fried rice is an oxymoron? Try this. Nutrient-rich brown rice; sweet, briny shrimp; crunchy bean sprouts; soft bits of egg; and the freshness of ginger, green onions, and more, all stir-fried in a minimum of oil.
- 2 T Oyster Sauce
- 1 T Soy Sauce, Low Sodium
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ lb Medium Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
- 2 T Canola Oil
- ¾ tsp Minced Onion
- 1 T Minced Fresh Ginger
- ½ tsp Minced Garlic
- ½ cup Minced Green Onion
- 2 cup Cooked Brown Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts
- ¾ cup Snow Peas
- Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and eggs. Cook until eggs are softly scrambled. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining sesame oil to pan. Add shrimp; stir-fry until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan. Wipe pan clean.
- Add canola oil to pan. Add onion; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and half the green onions; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add rice; cook, without stirring, 1 minute to crisp, then stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes. Add bean sprouts, peas, egg, shrimp, remaining green onions and sauce. Toss gently until thoroughly heated.