Maple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Frosted and decorated with candies, this cake is moist and tender.
You can find the pink and white M&M’s and the other candies used for decorating this cake at Michaels and upscale supermarkets.
- 2¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1½ Unsalted Butter Sticks
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 3 Eggs
- ½ tsp Maple Extract
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- ¾ cup Walnuts, Chopped (optional)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Unsalted Butter Stick
- 3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Maple Extract
- ½ cup M&M Candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F. Generously grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- To prepare cake, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a medium bowl. Using a mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add maple syrup and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add maple flavoring. Fold in walnuts, if using. Divide batter equally between pans.
- Bake cakes 25 to 30 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let cool in pans on a wire rack 20 minutes. Invert onto racks; let cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar and maple flavoring. Beat just until smooth.
- Frost cake. Decorate with M&M’s and other candies. Serves 16.