Fantastic Fennel Pumpkin Soup
A savory soup made with fresh pumpkin and mushroom
"I created this recipe for Thanksgiving. It is fast and easy - a blessing in itself for holiday meal preparations - and it tastes like a gourmet soup from a nice restaurant."
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1 cup Chopped Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 3 cup Chicken Broth
- or 3 cup Vegetable Broth
- 16 oz Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tsp Chopped Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cup Chopped Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 oz Parmesan Cheese
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the fennel and onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the fennel mixture, 1 cup of the chicken broth, and the pumpkin in a blender. Puree, tightly covered, until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally with a rubber spatula.
- Return the fennel mixture to pan and add the remaining 2 cups broth and the thyme. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and tilt the skillet to lightly coat the bottom. Add the mushrooms caps and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To serve, spoon the soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with the mushrooms. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the cheese over each serving.