Key Lime Pie from the Beachwalk Cafe
The Beach Walk Cafe, in Destin, Fla., serves this creamy Key Lime Pie.
Beat the egg yolks until they're thick and pale yellow (about 8 minutes), then the condensed milk for 7 minutes.
- 2 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 3 T Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 6 T Unsalted Butter
- 4 Egg Yolks, Large
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 cup Whipped Cream (optional)
- Combine crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in melted butter. Press mixture into a 9-inch glass pie plate. (Crust will be thick.) Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine egg yolks and lime rind in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on high speed 8 minutes. (The eggs should be pale yellow and fluffy.) Gradually add condensed milk and beat 7 minutes, or until fluffy. Reduce speed to low and slowly add lime juice, beating about 2 minutes. Pour filling into chilled pie shell.
- Bake about 12 minutes, until filling is set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream, if using, before serving.