Marinated Hearts of Palm
Add a teaspoon of honey to the vinaigrette to make it a little sweet or a mashed malaguete pepper to make it a little hot.
Ivory-colored hearts of palm are the tender center of a palm variety originally native to the Amazon. Since the tree, at about 6 feet tall, must be killed to reach this core, it is thankfully no longer wild-harvested, but sustainably cultivated.
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Lime
- 1 Orange
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- or ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 28 oz Canned Hearts of Palm
- 2 Green Onions
- 4 Celery Stalks
- 1 Orange
- 1 Grapefruit
- 3 T Diced, Pimento Stuffed Green Olives
- 4 cup Salad Greens
- or 4 cup Spinach
- or 4 cup Spring Mix Salad Greens
- or 8 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- 1 Avocado
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk well.
- To prepare salad, combining all ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour vinaigrette over top and toss well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- To serve, place greens on 8 individual salad plates. Spoon hearts of palm mixture on top. (If using romaine, place a spoonful of salad at the end of each leaf and serve one leaf per person.) Garnish with avocado.