Beef and Sausage Stew with Winter Greens
A hearty stew made with sweet Italian sausage, lean ground beef and a handful of fresh colorful vegetables.
If you've never tried winter greens, now is the time. Even after long cooking, they've still got a bite. To prepare, cut away the stems with a sharp chef's knife and coarsely chop the leaves. Swish leaves in a large bowl of warm water. Serve this hearty stew over cooked polenta.
- 1 lb Italian Sausage, Sweet
- 1 Onion
- ¾ lb Cremini Mushrooms
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1 lb Ground Beef, Lean
- 1 cup Red Wine, Dry
- 42 oz Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 2 T Tomato Paste
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1½ lb Kale
- or 1½ lb Collard Greens
- 4 cup Polenta, Prepared (optional)
- 2 oz Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages; cook until brown on all sides. Remove to plate lined with paper towels. Add onion and mushrooms to pot; cook stirring occasionally to loosen brown bits, until vegetables are goldren brown, about 5 mintues. Add carrots and celery; cook 2 minutes. Add beef in small clumps; cook, breaking up beef with a large spoon, until meat is brown.
- Return sausages to pot. Add wine, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir well. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; add greens in batches and cover. As one batch wilts, add another. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Serve over polenta, if using, and sprinkle with cheese.