Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon, Olives and Herbs
These tender chicken thighs are bright with lemon and olives, and fragrant with fresh herbs.
Breasts get all the attention, but thighs are more deserving. Roast them at high heat for juicy meat and crisp skin.
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- ⅓ cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 T Minced Rosemary
- 2 tsp Minced Thyme
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2½ lb Bone In, Skin On Chicken Thighs
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Lemon
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives
- Combine lemon zest and juice, oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic cloves, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a good grinding of pepper in a large baking dish. Add chicken, turning to coat well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning chicken once or twice.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large, heavy baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and arrange skin side up on baking sheet. Toss onion and lemon wedges with marinade and arrange around chicken. Roast chicken 30 to 35 minutes, until skin is browned and crisp and juices run clear. Scatter olives around chicken during last 5 minutes of cooking. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.