Fresh lemonade recipe featuring a beautiful puree of juicy blackberries.
If hosting a party, we suggest making a double or triple batch of the base lemonade recipe and mixing up a couple different fruit purees (strawberry, peach, blackberry, watermelon, strawberry.) Keep these separate from the lemonade until serving. With this approach, guests can add as little or as much puree mixture as they please to their individual drinks—we suggest 1 1/2 ounces puree per drink. They can even mix two flavors together if they are feeling adventures.
- ½ cup Sugar
- 4 Lemons
- 1 cup Fresh Blackberries
- 10 Rosemary Sprigs
- Before juicing the lemons, rub the skin aggressively with Â½ cup of granulated sugar. This will release the natural oils in the lemon skin and perfume the sugar for the simple syrup.
- In a small bowl, combine Â½ cup of recently boiled water with perfumed granulated sugar to create a simple syrup. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining 3 cups of water, lemon juice and simple syrup in a pitcher. Stir. Place in the refrigerator and keep chilled until ready to serve.
- While lemonade is chilling, purÃ©e blackberries and water in a food processor until liquefied. Strain, reserving the juice and discarding the blackberry pulp.
- Add puree to lemonade and chill mixture longer if necessary. Pour over ice and serve with complementary herbs if desiredâwe recommend a sprig of rosemary in each glass.