Light, savory and soufflé-like, this spoonbread is made with buttermilk, which gives it a sweet-tangy flavor.
For a more mellow taste, add 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese to the mixture, along with the green onions.
- 1½ cup Buttermilk
- ½ cup Stone Ground Yellow Cornmeal
- or ½ cup Stone Ground White Cornmeal
- 2 T Butter
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 3 Green Onions
- ½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 4-cup soufflé or casserole dish.
- Warm buttermilk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cornmeal. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in butter and salt and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Whisk egg yolks into cornmeal mixture. Add green onions; stir well.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to cornmeal mixture, a little at a time, folding gently to avoid deflating.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until puffed, golden brown and set. Serve immediately by spooning portions onto individual plates.