Bananas Foster Bread
Banana bread gets a delicious, boozy twist straight out of The Big Easy.
Although this banana bread recipe takes a big cue from the New Orleans classic Bananas Foster, you won’t have to flambé anything! If you’re worried about not cooking out the alcohol in the glaze, you can substitute it with fresh lemon or orange juice. Serve slices of the bread with fresh vanilla ice cream or give away individual breads as gifts. EQUIPMENT NOTE: You will need a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a handheld mixer and a mini loaf tin or muffin tin.
- 8 T Butter
- 2 cup Brown Sugar
- 4⅔ T Whiskey
- 3 Bananas
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Ground Flaxseeds (Flax Meal)
- ¼ tsp Ground Allspice
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ oz Cooking Spray
- ⅓ cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In medium saucepan, combine softened butter, 1 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup whiskey, cook over medium heat until bubbly. Add banana chunks, cook until fragrant and glossy.
- Add banana mixture to mixing bowl with whisk attachment and set to low. Allow steam to release. Add 1 cup brown sugar, sour cream and eggs.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, flax seed, allspice, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Spray mini loaf or muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide mixture between 8 loaf cases (or 12 muffin cases). Bake for one hour.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and 2 teaspoons whiskey. Whisk in powdered sugar until glaze is smooth and glossy.
- Remove from oven and spoon glaze over each loaf.