Rhubarb-Mint Wine Spritzer
Puckery sweet rhubarb syrup casts a brilliant red hue and makes a terrific base for cocktails, such as this wine spritzer.
The rhubarb syrup would be tasty poured over ice cream or pound cake, too.
Fresh Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- 10 Rhubarb Stalks
- 1 cup Agave Nectar
- 2 Pinot Grigio, 750mL Bottles
- or 2 White Wine, 750mL Bottles
- 1 ltr Seltzer (Sparkling) Water
- 1 Mint Bunch
- To prepare simple syrup, put rhubarb, agave nectar and water into a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook, stirring every so often, until mixture is somewhat reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool about 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, pressing gently with a spoon to release all the liquid. Let cool completely and pour into a glass container.Â Rhubarb syrup will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator. Makes 2 cupsÂ
- To prepare spritzer, mix wine and rhubarb syrup in a large pitcher. Add a small handful of fresh mint leaves to the pitcher. Use a wooden spoon to gently crush leaves. Stir well. Add seltzer water just before serving.Â Serve over ice cubes and garnish with more mint.Â