Seared Scallops with Salsa Verde and Asparagus
Bright salsa verde tames rich, buttery scallops.
This robust salsa verde is the Italian kind, made with fresh herbs and capers. A nip of sugar helps the scallops caramelize.
- ¼ cup Chopped Basil
- ¼ cup Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 T Capers
- 1 T Chopped Shallot
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ½ tsp Lemon Zest
- ¼ tsp Anchovy Paste
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 1¼ lb Sea Scallops
- 4 tsp Vegetable Oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ lb Asparagus
- Combine basil and next 9 ingredients (basil through sugar) in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pat scallops very dry. Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season scallops lightly with salt and a pinch of sugar. When pan is very hot, add half the scallops and cook, undisturbed, 2 minutes. Turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until just opaque in the center. Transfer to a plate, and tent with foil. Repeat with remaining oil and scallops. Transfer to plates and serve with salsa verde and asparagus spears.