Kale and Farro Soup
Kale teams up with farro and butternut squash in this healthy, hearty soup.
Either curly green or lacinato kale may be used for the soup. Remove tough ribs from leaves before chopping.
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Farro
- 6 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cup Diced Butternut Squash
- 28 oz Canned Plum Tomatoes
- 3 oz Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- or 1 T Fresh Thyme Leaves
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 cup Chopped Kale
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and sautÃ© until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and sautÃ© 1 minute. Add farro and stir to coat. Add broth, squash, tomatoes, cheese rind, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until squash is tender and farro is cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir in kale and simmer 2 minutes. Discard cheese rind. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle grated cheese on top.