Heirloom beans are so delicious, they require only simple seasonings to enhance their good taste.
Use whatever beans you like; this colorful, flavorful combination has a lot to offer.
- 3 T Olive Oil
- 1 cup Diced Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Serrano Chiles
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ⅔ cup Dried Cannellini Beans
- ⅔ cup Dried Red Beans
- ⅔ cup Dried Borlotti Beans
- 3 Dried Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-duty stockpot over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic and chiles. Add salt and black pepper, and sautÃ© until onions are translucent. Add beans, stirring well so that they are coated with oil. Pour water over the beansâenough to cover them by two inches. Stir in bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Skim off any scum that may accumulate as the beans cook.
- Cook, partially covered about 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more liquid if needed. Discard bay leaves. Taste for salt and heat, adjusting as needed.