These whole-grain waffles are both sweet and savory.
Serve as breakfast or dinner with fruit and Canadian bacon or sausage, then pour on pure maple syrup or more applesauce.
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1½ cup 2% Milk
- ½ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 T Canola Oil
- 3 oz Gouda Cheese
- 1 cup Maple Syrup (optional)
- or 1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and milk. Add applesauce and oil; stir to combine. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Coat a preheated waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour about ¾ cup batter onto hot waffle iron. Close the waffle iron lid and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Makes 5 (7-inch) waffles.