Braised Chicken with Mushrooms
Serve this chicken over a bed of wild rice to soak up the delicious juices.
Valerie uses dried morels in this recipe, but if you can't find them, substitute dried porcini.
- ½ oz Dried Morel Mushroom
- or ½ oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 Chicken Leg Quarters
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 2 T Butter
- 4 oz Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 Leeks
- ⅓ cup Sherry
- or ⅓ cup White Wine
- ½ cup Crème Fraiche
- 1 T Tarragon Leaves (optional)
- or 1 T Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 4 cup Arugula (optional)
- or 4 cup Cooked Wild Rice
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Rinse morels gently. Cover completely with boiling water (about 1 Â½ cups). Let stand 30 minutes or until they are soft and pliable.Â Strain, reserving liquid. Slice morels into halves.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and coat with flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter to a large Dutch oven. Brown chicken over medium-high heat about 5 minutes per side.Â Remove from pan. Add sliced shiitakes to pan and cook over medium heat until juice is released. Add remaining salt, pepper and leeks and cook over medium heat until translucent (about 15 minutes).
- Add sherry to pan, stirring up brown bits on bottom of the pan. Whisk in morel broth and crÃ¨me fraiche. Add reserved morels.
- Return chicken to pan (along with any juices). Cover, place in oven and bake 30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Serve in shallow bowls over a bed of fresh arugula or wild rice.